Frequently Asked Questions
Whatever the reason, we look forward to hearing from you!
Our Consumer Response team would be pleased to assist you. Please call toll-free 1-888-942-1212 Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:30am and 5:30pm Eastern. If our office is closed, please leave a message and we will return your call promptly. You can also complete a contact us form and a member of our team will follow up by email.
While we are committed to social responsibility and would like to be able to respond to every request we receive, we believe we can be more effective by supporting specific initiatives in our communities.
To this end, we are proud to be a top five partner supporting the breast cancer cause at Canadian Cancer Society, a national charitable organization dedicated to creating a future without breast cancer. To learn more about the organizations we support, please visit our Community page.
We have created new quantitative targets and qualitative objectives within each strategic pillar and plan to develop new objectives as we continue along our path of transformative growth and sustainable innovation. To learn more about our progress, refer to our annual sustainability report found on this page
100% of or fibre is third party certified and sourced from Canada, or Brazil. Of our total fibre, 70% is sourced from Canada, a global leader in sustainable forestry, and enforces among the world's most stringent forest management practices and laws. 100% of our fibre sourced from Brazil is FSC®-certified.
As a leading North American tissue manufacturer, we believe it is our responsibility to lead by example. Many of our products are certified by the most respected and credible third-party certifications systems within our industry. Today, we offer more than 250 third-party certified products, include 158 FSC® certified products, offering consumers and customers reassurance that fibre is sourced from responsibly managed forests or is verified recycled content.
Through our sustainability program, Reimagine 2030 (https://www.krugerproducts.ca/sustainability), our goal is to reduce virgin plastic packaging in branded products by 50%, and we have been exploring alternative options for plastic packaging in our trademark products to do our part to reduce the amount of plastic waste.
90% of our packaging by weight is fibre based, while the remaining 10% is plastic. As a signatory of the Canadian Plastics Pact (CPP; please see https://plasticspact.ca/), we are dedicated to finding innovative solutions to eliminate unnecessary or problematic plastic packaging, and to safely reuse or recycle the plastic that we do need.
18% of the fibre we consume is recycled. While the amount in each product varies, Bonterra™, our sustainably focused line of household paper products, is composed of 100% recycled fibres with at least 80% post consumer waste.
Kruger Products takes great pride in our environmentally responsible approach to providing Canadians with high quality products at great prices. Reducing environmental impact is a top priority for us as demonstrated by the facts that our pulp is elemental chlorine free, that the effluents from our facilities are completely non-toxic. The compound we use, Sodium Hypoclorite, is the same compound used in the water treatment process in the majority of Canadian municipal water treatment facilities.
Applications are reviewed by HR and the Hiring Leader. Those that we feel are a match with our job opening are contacted directly by a Kruger Products representative.
At Kruger Products, we hire across North America and across many departments. At one of our manufacturing facilities, we hire for Skilled Trades, Operators, Production Supervisors, Engineers, etc. We also have Corporate opportunities in Finance, Supply Chain, Marketing, HR, IT, and more. Our Corporate Head Office is located in Mississauga, ON but we have manufacturing facilities across Canada and in Tennessee, USA.
Kruger Products is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under KP’s Accessibility Policy and Multi-Year Accessibility Plan. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.